Tuesday, January 25, 2011

a night out on the streets - January 24, 2011

A co-worker and I spent 2 hours (of our OWN time) at the SR512/S. Tacoma Way interchange last night, hoisting Save Our Buses/Proposition 1 signs. 120 minutes gave me some time alone with my thoughts. So I started counting stuff. Here's my summary...
 
4,712 vehicles passed thru the intersection
4,671 drivers were texting/on cell phone while driving...paying no attention to our signs whatsover
38 public transportation buses went thru
37 minutes I was able to simultaneously wave 2 signs before my arms & fingers said "NO MORE"
15 drivers who did NOT take advantage of their free right turn
14 vehicles being towed thru the intersection
12 cars with bass so loud even I could hear it
8 flashes from the photo enforcement cameras
7 alternator belts on the verge of failure
6.99 the dinner special at the Casino
6 other people walking across the intersection
5 minutes spent crossing 2 legs of the intersection as we left
4 motorcycles riding in the rain
3 of Lakewood's finest headed north, sirens ablaze
3 horns honked in support of our signs
2 cars with seatbelt hanging out of the door
2 cars stopping to ask questions about Proposition 1
1 popped the clutch too fast and stalled his big truck as I tried not to laugh
1 person I lent my phone to as she sat in her broken down vehicle
1 Suburban we helped push across the intersection to the gas station
1 time I bonked myself in the head with my sign
1 car with sunroof open even tho it was raining
 
and the most surprising statistics of all
0 accidents
0 times I got flipped off
0 streetwalkers

No comments:

Post a Comment